B4UFLY is an easy-to-use smartphone app that helps unmanned aircraft operators determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly.
On August 28, 2015, the FAA released B4UFLY to approximately 1,000 beta testers, including members of industry, government, and the public. EMMU LLC was selected as one of the beta testers for the B4UFLY smartphone app.
This limited beta test is expected to run for several months, after which the FAA plans to make a final version of B4UFLY available for the general public. The beta version of the app is for iOS devices only, but the FAA intends to release a future version for both iOS and Android devices.
Key features of the B4UFLY app include:
- A clear "status" indicator that immediately informs the operator about their current or planned location. For example, it shows flying in the Special Flight Rules Area around Washington, DC is prohibited
- Information on the parameters that drive the status indicator
- A "Planner Mode" for future flights in different locations
- Informative, interactive maps with filtering options
- Links to other FAA UAS resources and regulatory information